S-63, Single Turbine Utility Helicopter
The S-63 was a prototype for a growth S-62, a single-turbine-engined utility helicopter then in production. The S-62 used the dynamic systems of the piston-engined S-55 with a new amphibious fuselage, with a boat hull, and a single turbine engine. It entered production in1960.
The S-63 extended this concept by using the S-62 fuselage with the dynamic components of the larger Sikorsky S-58/H-34. Whereas the S-62 had the S-55’s 52 ft. diameter three-bladed rotor, the S-63 had the S-58’s four-bladed rotor with the diameter cut down from the 56 ft. on the S-58 to 53 ft. The S-62 used a General Electric T-58-GE-8 engine derated to 670 horsepower, later upgraded to 730 horsepower. The S-63 used the same engine at its full rated military power of 1250 horsepower.
Sikorsky Archives records indicate one of the primary potential customers was the Royal Canadian Navy to be based on frigates or destroyer escorts. Other customers envisioned included those with high-altitude requirements beyond what the S-62 could achieve.
The specific dates for the S-63 development are not clear. The S-62 had a first flight in May 1958 and its first production delivery July 1960. The aircraft specification document for the S-63 is dated August 4, 1958. Other available S-63 documents are dated in late 1958 and early 1959. All of these are pre-fabrication documents. The dates for first flight and subsequent activities are not known.
None of these opportunities proved fruitful and only the one prototype aircraft was produced.
The cockpit was designed for two persons in a side-by-side configuration. The main landing gear was retractable; the tail wheel was fixed. A rotor brake was included.
The control system was of conventional Sikorsky design at the time. Complete provisions for an automatic stabilization device (auto-pilot) were included.
General Arrangement Drawing
Characteristics and Performance
LASTUPDATE JUNE 25, 2013
© Copyright 2011 Sikorsky Archives